Friday, December 10, 2010

"Our granddaughter started making these when she was 3 years old!"

I'm not exactly known for my stellar cooking/baking skills and have never cared.  When I was 12, my mom attempted to teach me how to cook and after many tears, stomped feet and a mashed-potato-splattered kitchen, Mom lost her patience and released me from the cooking lessons, with the following warning: "I don't want to hear you say when you're 30 that your mother never taught you how to cook!".  Well, here we are, and this is not my mother's fault.

Now that S.'s here, I've realized that I'm going to have to reach a minimum standard of competency in domestic matters, whether I like it or not.  With this in mind, I decided to try a "Christmas mice" recipe at Jen's cookie exchange last night.  I found it on-line and it was described as very simple (see post title) and the prep time was only 25 minutes for 2 dozen.  Here's what they looked like on-line and the recipe:


Line a cookie sheet with waxed or parchment paper.

Rinse the maraschino
cherries, drain thoroughly, and let dry on paper towels, turning often. The cherries must be completely dry or the chocolate will seize and get crumbly.

Gently melt
chocolate, butter, and paraffin in a double boiler until smooth, stirring often to prevent burning. Once melted, turn off heat, but leave in the double-boiler on the burner.

Dip dry cherries in melted
chocolate to completely cover up to the stem. Place on lined cookie sheet. Immediately press on chocolate chip, flat side to the front of the dipped cherry, to form a head.

While
chocolate is still warm, wedge two sliced almonds between chocolate chip and cherry to form ears. Let cool.

Use a toothpick to dab beady red eyes on either side of the
chocolate chip with the red gel icing.

Refrigerate to firmly set
chocolate.


On the way to Jen's, I realized I needed to pick up a few more ingredients at Bulk Barn.  Forty-five minutes and $65 later, I began to wonder if this recipe was going to be as easy as promised.

Two hours and 10 mice later, it was clear I don't yet have the baking skills of a toddler.  But I am available as live entertainment at any baking or cooking events!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lend me some sugar!