Sunday, December 12, 2010

When I Belong

Tonight J. and I went to a lantern light tour at a heritage village.  We went to different historic houses and heard about English and German Christmas traditions in 1914, went on a horse-drawn wagon ride, and sang Christmas carols in an old church.  Standing beside a wood stove in the candlelight, I wondered how many people feel they don't belong in their time.  I've always enjoyed history and my highest mark ever was in an Ancient Civilizations course - it just felt like the teacher told interesting stories all term and then asked us to repeat them on the exam.

But as much as I enjoy learning about other places and times, I only want to visit.  They're not home.  If I had been born centuries ago, I wouldn't be able to see the beauty of the world clearly, because there was no LASIK and my eyesight was approaching legal blindness before I had the surgery.  I wouldn't be able to express myself or use my intellect the way I can now, because women weren't considered people.

Wondering about a man's perspective, I asked J. if he would have liked to live in a different time.  He said no, because all you would know of the world was the little piece in front of you.  We can reach out and touch everyone and everything with the click of a button now, and that's why I love living in 2010.  That and stilettos. air-conditioning. trampolines. zip-lining. toilets. watching the clouds below me in a 747 and in a powered glider. singing til daddy took the t-bird away with the wind in my hair driving down the highway. voting. ambulances. owning my house and land. not cooking/sewing/cleaning. birth control. movies. pictures of my daughter's childhood beyond my fuzzy memory. and so much more...

10 comments:

  1. this is a great post! I agree, sometimes I think how life was so simple back then...life just was. But, they also worked so hard...the cooking and cleaning and our everyday things we now take for granted. How about my laptop or smart phone? LOL

    Yeah, as much as I LOVE antiques and vintage stuff...I love my life here & now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love home too. A good mix of simpler times and modern conveniences would be the ultimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lesson in contentment. Thanks for sharing. You'e helped me let go of some minor irritations in favor of focusing on the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the list at the end. I won't lie, I'm jealous as we have no A/C currently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I LOVE this Ixy. Especially the list at the end, for me as well. I must agree, wholeheartedly. With everything you said. And it cracked me up that you said stilettos. When you read my "Shoes" linkup you'll know why. ;D Birds of a feather, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true! All of it. As much as living in a different time could be nice... it's so nice to live right here, right now.
    TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are on TALU again this week! Great post- thought-provoking! Have you seen the movie Midnight in Paris? (Is that what it's called?) Owen Wilson. Great movie and another good one to make you think about which era you think is best...I too am all for my modern conveniences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! I enjoyed this post, thanks!
    TALU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, it would be really cool to be able to take a little vacation to another time, but if seriously presented with the option, I'd almost certainly stay in the here and now. [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from another wonderful week of TALU. I have to agree with you on the fact that I'd love to visit another place in time but would not want to stay. Times were simpler back then but on the flip side, a little too simple for my comfort.

    Hope you have a great week!
    -Jessica
    www.sugarinmygrits.com

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!