Sunday, March 20, 2011

Scrunchie Sunday

It's Comment Love at FTLOB - hurray!


I've decided today is Scrunchie Sunday, a day to give a shout out to my favourite things from back in the day.

When I was 13, I started keeping a "Personal Profile", which details your likes and dislikes, as well as general pet peeves and favourite experiences.  The first one had two columns, called Fave and Least Fave, and categories ranging from hobbies (going to the mall) to animals (cats are the best!).

Here are some highlights from my annual Personal Profiles:

1993 - I wanna shoop, baby:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vaN01VLYSQ.  But there's not even breathing room between passion and pain:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNmyxV2Ncw

More 1993 - Too cool to smile:  Here I am at Christmas in my Chicago Bulls jersey, high ponytail, red lipstick and still rocking the scrunchie.


1994 - My husband and I begin our 16-year relationship - he's driving a Mazda MX6 and looking hot in his backwards baseball cap.  In the words of the Impressive Clergyman, it's wuv, twue wuv.


1995 - Favourite activity:  "SOCIALIZING!!"  And smelling good while doing it in my Revlon Fire and Ice perfume. 

April 1996 - At the top of the page, I've written in giant letters:  "DOWN WITH POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!!"  Geez, loosen up.  And what's with the excessive capitalization?

July 1996 - "I gotta go, Julia.  We got cows!"  I discovered The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, a must read for anyone who's been impacted by depression.  J. and I also saw Twister in the theatre three times.

1997 - I started working at McDonalds, at which point I discovered the incredible stupidity of the general public and the creepiness of older men.  Being told you have "nice headlights" by a 40-year old man while covered in lard (seriously - that's what's in the deep fryer) - just another day on the job for a teenage girl!


1998 - Under pet peeves, I've written "Having to be polite to people when I'd like to punch them in the head".  Haha!  That hasn't changed.  'Cause I'm just a girl and I've had it up to here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

1999 - "Step into my office.  Why?  Cuz you're fucking fired!"  This movie still makes me laugh until my stomach hurts.


2000 - I'm afraid my style took a slight turn to the hoochie, but I wasn't alone.  If you got it, flaunt it was the motto for this year's fashion.
 
The profiles continue, but I'll talk about 2001-2011 another time.  What were your favourite things in the '90s?

16 comments:

  1. baha...had lots of favourite things about the 90s but first, why am I licking my hand in that picture??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping over from FTLOB :)
    Adorableee blog!

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from Comment Love Day - What a great post and a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I'd kept a diary or journal or lists of my favorite things through the 90s. I've got this "scrapbook" I put together in 1994 and 1995, though. It's a photo album that someone gave my Momma in anticipation of my brother's birth, quilted with some baby-patterned fabric and pink and blue lace on the cover. Inside, the pages are the sticky sheets where you stick your pictures and then its got the plastic cover that goes over top? I've got so much teenage angst saved in that book - maybe one of these days I'll dig it out again.

    Happy Sunday, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, doing some hopping around as a new blogger and social hopper from Norway. Looking forward to following you :) I remember those days with fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SCRUNCHIES!! I totally loved them!

    Happy Sunday from FTLOB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrunchies...omg....I have a tote bag just full of them in case you ever need one, lol; my perks from being a hair stylist and going to hair shows as well as doing some platform work in the 90's.

    Fav 90's things? Big earrings, leggings, my oldest daughter's (simple, just a few people, Mom-honest!)garden wedding at our home..for 275 freaking people and...."Bridges of Madison County"

    I'm sure I can think of more but, for now, I'm just liking your blog after hoppin' by from FTLOB!

    Happy Spring!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clueless is one of my all time favorite movies! I remember watching it when I was younger & thinking how I wanted to be just like them :) Haha
    I'm your newest follower!
    ~Angel @ www.livinginaperrytale.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh gosh i totally remember "scrunchies" ha ha ha ha loved clueless also!
    found you on FTLOB!

    Hugs & Loves, Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I like that! Just hopping over from FTLOB. The only thing I vaguely remember is liking the songs Runaway Train and 500 miles and Hootie and the Blowfish. I think that was the 90's ha. I met my husband in '95 - that's definitly my highlight of the 90's.

    Looking forward to highlights from '01 - '11.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I LOVE THIS POST!!! SO 90s!! I had one of those "journals" too! I would cut photos out of magazines for stuff I like and didnt! WOW!! Great post!!

    Im here from FTLOB!!
    www.BlissfulBLatterations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, I confess that I still wear a scrunchie every day. Nope, I never gave them up.

    When you mentioned "Fire and Ice," all of those Cindy Crawford ads came rushing back to my mind. Oh, the decade of the super model. Those were the days.

    The only thing that I can remember doing in the 90s was rockin' some serious oversized bangs and a ponytail off to the side of my head... made stiff by WAY too much hairspray. *ugh* What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ripped jeans
    plaid shirts
    Nirvana
    Pear Jam
    getting married
    And The Bell Jar - yes, I first read it in the '90's, too.
    Do you remember when we curled half our bangs up and the other half down?
    As much as I hated my teen years, I do feel a certain nostalgia for the '90's and thankfully have some good memories scattered amongst the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for sharing your memories! Gotta love nostalgia - everything seems so much better from a decade or two away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fact that you say "cats are the best!" That's exactly the way I feel.

    I wish I knew where all my scrunchies were. I remember I had a huge one with a big ol' plastic penguin on it with rolly eyes. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fav thing about the 90's - Hanging out with you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!