Friday, May 20, 2011

Solar powered

One of my favourite hops - it's Five Minute Friday hosted by The Gypsy Mama! 




Got five minutes? Let’s write. Let’s write in shades of real and brave and unscripted.
Let’s just write and not worry if it’s just right or not.


Today's prompt is: "When seasons change..."

*GO*

I'm better.  Steadily the blanket lifts and I feel like Kevin Spacey in American Beauty, wondering how I got so sedated.  I'm young again, happy and vibrant.  Solar-powered.  So many things I want to do and be before my energy leaches away with the darkness.  So I throw myself into it, finding the sunpatch and lying in it every chance I get, right beside the cats.  Not much sleep as I soak up every moment of this temporary time.  And then it's over.  At first there's a pleasant nip in the air and beautiful colours everywhere I look.  Maybe it won't be as bad as I remember.  But the light goes and my happy time goes with it.  Go into work in the morning exhausted as I drive through the darkness - why am I awake?  A long dreary day with no windows, not that there's anything to see but grey. Walk out of work into blackness and I don't know if the sun ever came out today at all.  Slamming on brakes over and over as traffic inches through the snow and I'm finally home.  Take out the ice cream and lie in bed, because everything has become such an effort.  Piling on the pounds.  Beautiful lights and music at Christmas lift me up a little and then I plunge back down into the hole as January suffocates me.  It seems like it will never end, but one day I come out of work and there are tendrils of light across the sky.  My happy time is here again.

*STOP*

Okay, obviously I need a light box!  I love Five Minute Friday for the therapeutic revelations it tends to bring. 

Day 23 is a song that you want to play at your wedding.  We danced our first dance to I want to spend my lifetime loving you by Marc Anthony and Tina Arena:







8 comments:

  1. Beautiful wedding photo!

    I'm a new follower from the That Friday Blog Hop! Following on GFC and Twitter.
    Please stop on by and follow me at http://www.mommydigger.com and say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sense that same cycle of ups and downs, too. I think a light box would work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower here from That Friday Blog Hop :) www.lindylegend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great meme -- and response! I must have my sunshine, too. No doubt.

    LOVE the song -- sooo romantic! I'm more country, so my two dance songs were She's More and then Forever and For Always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! That was an interesting story. Well done!
    Love that song too! Have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sunshine does do great things for us! I'm always the odd one out on this - I love fall, and those grey northern skies :-)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'm following you on google now.
    Don't you love those gypsymama prompts!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that was our first dance at OUR wedding, too! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post! I have to agree with Lisa, though...I love the fall and the coming darkness. But then, I love the spring in its turn, too.

    Love your writing, and your picture is cuter than cute. :-)

    Trish

    http://contemplatinghappiness.blogspot.com/2008/08/grandmas-are-forever.html

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!