Thursday, June 16, 2011

My boyfriend takes care of that

The first time I was pulled over by a cop was a memorable experience for both me and the officer.  In my second year of university, I bought a car.  It was right after I got my full driver's license (Canada has graduated licensing, so it takes several years), a month before my 21st birthday in November.  There were piles of paperwork and I was glad when everything was done and signed and could be filed away.

In May of the following year, I landed a co-op position at a big accounting firm and was anxious to make a good impression.  About a month into my co-op term, I was pulling into the office parking lot around 7 AM to catch up on some work, when I noticed red and blue lights in my rearview mirror.  Confused, I stopped the car in the middle of the parking lot and rolled down my window.  How could I get a speeding ticket in the parking lot?


"Step out of the car, miss," said the stern-looking officer.  "I'd like you to come around to the rear of the vehicle."  Clutching my purse, I hurried behind him, hoping this would be over before my co-workers began arriving for work and saw me being questioned by the police.  When he stopped suddenly at the back of the car, I almost ran into him.  "Look at that," he jerked his head toward the car.  "Well?  What do you have to say?"

"Ummm...are you not allowed to tie your license plate on with wire?" I guessed, grasping at the only objectionable thing I could see.  The cop stared at me with amazement.  "That's not the issue.  Look at your sticker.  It was supposed to be renewed in November!"  "November," I replied stupidly.  "Renew what?"  "OK, license, registration and proof of insurance, please," barked the cop, glaring at me.  I fumbled through my purse.

"Here's my license and this other piece of paper - I think it's my registration," I said, my hands shaking as I handed them over.  Why was he being so mean?  And what kind of renewal was he talking about?  Peering at my license, the cop asked more calmly, "So you live at 123 Dippy Street?"  "Oh no!" I said brightly.  "That's my parents' address.  I just left it as is on the license because I move a lot as a student, and then I don't have to keep updating my address."  Silence.  "And where's your proof of insurance?" said the cop in a strange tone.  "I keep it in a shoebox at home so it doesn't get lost!"  I chirped.  Over his shoulder, I could see my co-workers pointing at me as people began to arrive for work and head into the building.



The cop began firing questions at me:  "So.  Your license renewal is six months overdue, you don't have the address where you're currently living on your license, and you aren't carrying proof of insurance with you.  Do you even have insurance?  Why haven't you kept these items up to date?"

In a mortifying step backward for modern women everywhere, I lost my head completely and sputtered wildly:  "I don't know!  I don't know!  My boyfriend takes care of all this!"  Eyeing me with one arched eyebrow, the officer drawled, "Well, he's not doing a very good job."  (This infuriates my now-husband to this day).  Apparently realizing that I was genuinely clueless, the cop told me to go sit in the car while he wrote up my citation.

Five long minutes dragged by as I sat there wringing my hands.  I hate getting in trouble!  The cop reappeared at my window and proceeded to give me an education session on required driving documentation.  Apparently some of the paperwork I'd done when I'd bought the car hadn't been a one-time thing.  And who knew driver's licenses had to be renewed every year?  When he'd finished explaining the rules to me, the cop began going through the fines for each of my licensing and documentation infractions. 


"Oh.  Oh dear," I mumbled with increasing alarm as the officer's tally of fines continued past $300 to $400, to over $600.  How the hell was I going to pay for this and still pay my rent on a co-op student's salary?  My parents didn't have this kind of cash just lying around.  Seeing my mournful expression, the cop finally took pity on me and said, "However, I'm only going to give you the $250 ticket for the sticker renewal I originally pulled you over for.  But I'm making a note on your file here, and you have to bring this documentation up to date right away and keep it with you, or you will receive the full fine the next time a police officer sees you."

"Oh thank you, officer," I gasped in relief.  "I'll get everything in order today, I promise!"  Rolling his eyes, the cop handed me the ticket, wished me a good day and drove off.  My ordeal was over.


Mama’s Losin’ It


21 comments:

  1. Oh my, yikes! That sure makes you grow up fast no? All that stupid stuff that accompanies owning and driving a vehicle? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Great story of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol - I loved this story. We have registrations here in the states too and when I went camping with my friend I gave him the courtesy of telling him his was TWO YEARS OVERDUE. He's a man! How does he not know this stuff??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! And I can relate. I didn't even know there was such a thing as car insurance until I got pulled over in my mom's car when I was a teenager. It was a real eye-opener!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was living in Alberta, I forgot to renew my license cuz i didn't know it was working that way in that province... my friend noticed it and told me but seriously, how was i suppose to know!

    They don't educate us for all that stuff in school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, great story! I've been pulled over once myself for cluelessy speeding (I still think I wasn't!) and was given a "warning ticket" too. At least you didn't cry like I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh being pulled over is an *awful* feeling. Especially horrible when the cop acts so mean. I'm glad he didn't fine you the entire amount!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahah---- I am sorry for laughing at my misfortune but what a funny story. I hope your coworkers didn't give you too hard of a time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! "My boyfriend takes care of that" that sounds like what I say about changing tires, checking oil, etc. The very first time I ever got pulled over I was shaking so bad the officer said "Calm down. You don't have a body in the trunk or anything do you?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arghh, I think your ordeal just taught me a lesson. I'm SO that girl who says "my husband takes care of that". I'm glad he took some mercy on you finally after he let you sweat a bucket. LOL!! Thanks for sharing #commenthour

    CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it's just the worst feeling being pulled over. I actually cried when I got pulled over. And I got the stupid ticket too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can we say prick? I've run into mean ones too. I'm glad he softened a bit at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scary!! Why are they always so mean!? Just throwing their weight around with a young college student. I was stopped in a roadblock as a college student and got much the same treatment. Jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story - You inject humor everywhere and I love it. Shah X

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so funny to me because yesterday I wrote about my first ticket. What a hoot! Great story and btw sometimes it's ok to play the woman card. Especially if the guys isn't smart enough to see through it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, knock on wood I haven't been pulled over in all of my years of driving yet, but I think I would have the same response....my hubs takes care of that....

    I need to go to my car and check what's where now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dad always took care of this stuff for me. Once I got pulled over for expired registration. When the officer asked me for the registration I took it out of the glove compartment and gave it to him. He leaned down and raised one eyebrow at me and said 'you know this sticker is supposed to go on the license plate, right?' Whoops.

    I have an award for you if you'd like it! You can read more about it here: http://knowitnotsomuch.blogspot.com/2011/06/oh-power.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great story! Thanks for sharing! I love how he said your boyfriend wasn't doing a good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. We Americans think the Canadians are always so kind and gentle. Good story. Maybe it's the bad influence of American cop shows on Canadians.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh! Don't know why he had to be so rude about it! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!