Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Vacation day!

Today I'm off work - hurray!!  A little blogging, ice cream, shopping with sis, lying in the sun, napping...it's going to be a great day!  I'm kicking it off with some linky questions from Mamarazzi, Janette, Seriously Shawn and Impulsive Addict:

Photobucket

1)  Everyone seems to have a quirky family situation - what is something unique about your family dynamic?

I have an awkward relationship with my family, so this question makes me sad.  I've often felt like my family not only doesn't love me, but doesn't like me much either.  It's gotten a lot better in recent years, but I've also come to terms with the fact that my family is never going to be warm and affectionate, or take a particular interest in me.  An example is when I told a family member I had started this blog and really enjoyed it, and gave them the URL to check it out.  The response was "Well, I don't communicate that way, so I'm not going to look at it.  If you want to tell me something, you'll have to call me."  The level of selfishness is hard to deal with at times, but it's not going to change, so que sera, sera.

2)  What is the most stressful aspect to blogging?

This.  I read a lot of blogs, and don't want blogs that don't interest me clogging up my reader because I felt guilted into following someone.  It's obnoxious to say "I like your blog, so you'd better like me too."  Commenting is one of my favourite parts of blogging, but I don't leave a comment unless I have something to say (which isn't usually a problem haha!).  I hate feeling pressured in these areas and like I'm being a bad blogging citizen if I refuse to play along.

3)  Name your top three non-blog websites you flock to daily.
  • Fertility Friend to update my temperature chart - I've found this website really handy for keeping track of prime baby-making season.  A great group of ladies to chat with through your pregnancy as well.
  • The weather forecast, because we Canadians are obsessed like that.
The rest of my online time is spent here in the blogosphere!

4)  What's your sign?  Believe in it or not, does any part of it ring true to you?

My sign's description of my personality is freakishly accurate.  Really, it's kind of creepy.


5)  Ice cream!!  Ice cream!!  We all scream for ice cream...name your favourite brand.

Baskin Robbins regularly torments me by bringing out amazing flavours and then snatching them away, never to return.  I still mourn for X-Mint and Dirt'n'Worms.  My current favourite flavour is Candy Cane Chocolate Fudge Crackle.  Since it's only out at Christmas, I feel compelled to scarf down as much of it as possible while it's available, leading to some nice winter ass padding every year.

15 comments:

  1. The way your family makes you feel is sad. I am the youngest of 4 and only 1 sibling reads my blog, the other 2 are just too busy with their own lives and I get that.

    To follow or not to follow. To leave a senseless comment just because I "should". I hate those expectations too! If I have something to say I will say ii but sometimes that particular post just doesn't speak to me. And sometimes a blog that one person loves has nothing to draw someone else in. All of that is OK!

    I hate and BR brings out a seasonal flavor that I fall in love with. I once lied and told the guy I was pregnant and had to have some Winter White Chocolate and could he please search the back for some...he did and I got my fix. I repented later!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No joke: I actually don't comment expecting people to comment back. But when we do a meme like this, I feel obligated to go and read and find something to say. I don't always though, so I won't leave anything useless. I totally agree with you. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day! I think I need one of those days! Hope it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, everyone needs comments like we need discontiuned Ice Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's sad about your family, but from what I've learned about you it sounds like you're surrounded by other great people and that's all that matters. Family, shamily.

    Your comment about seasonal ice cream makes me think about seasonal candy, and of course the best seasonal candy...Cadbury mini eggs! Ahhhh - how my heart misses them already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry your family doesn't see how fun you are with your blog-- I am sure it is something they read and they just don't want to admit out of pride. It seems my in real life friends are too good to read my blog. I used to send my blog updates to each family member and no one would say anything. Hurt my feelings, so I quit sending it and found friends on blogger that I appreciated leaving me comments more than begging my family-- same with give aways.. I'd be begging friends to sign up.. one told me-- that's just not my thing-- and I won't sign up. I was hurt. Give aways are tough for me to do now. Glad you linked up!! yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, Ixy!

    #1...Family. In my life, it's one in-law (out-law) who has driven a pathetic wedge on my hubs side. Tried meeting in the middle, again and again but, as you said, it's not going to change. Sad for two brothers, sadder still for cousins who are strangers thanks to selfish stupidity.

    #2...That "comment" thing. I've certainly gone off in a few major rants on my blog about this issue but I'm so thankful to follow people who matter and even more thankful when they have time to leave a comment. It absolutely lights me up when I visit my favs and read a wonderful post only to see some asinine "follow me back, I have no writing skills, just useless crap"

    #5...Ice Cream, yayyy! Ben & Jerry's is my fav. Come visit me and I'll treat you to whatever frozen delight you desire!!

    Hugs,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family for us has become good friends who fill in the gaps. We have decided that family is what you make when the real one is lacking. Makes for better get togethers too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am sorry that your family makes you feel that way ((hugs)). I have never seen that ice cream before I will look for it this christmas ;) Oh yeah I totally agree with you about the comments and stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally going to check in on that fertility site. I am going through fertility again- second baby using Puregon shots... so always looking for more sites that can answer questions!
    Sorry about the family stuff- sending hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same way about the seasonal ice creams!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubs family is being assanine right now because of a post. I don't understand it because they never read my blog. The one time they did they flipped out. Oh well. As for the comment thing. I only follow people that interest me. I figure why waste my time and lie about it right?
    My sign? Virgo.
    Ice cream... Death by chocolate. I'm a bit of a chocoholic..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Find your own tribe who does support what you are doing. I love the movie About Steve for that reason. It showed you could find someone like you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like what VandyJ said about making your own family. I am fortunate enough to have a very supportive family, but my good friends are just as much my family as are my flesh & blood.
    Stay positive, and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear about how things are with your family. Although I have no issues with my side of the family, many years ago my former in-laws weren't too fond of me, and they made no bones about letting it show. I was always uncomfortable around them. Fortunately, that part of my life is long behind me. I hope that things improve for you.

    For me, the most stressful part of blogging is the reading and commenting. I always feel the pressure to "show up", because it isn't fair to expect people to visit you all the time when you post, if you aren't doing the same for them. And the time it takes to reciprocate is a lot.

    As for other websites, it's a lot of baseball.

    I don't believe in astrology, but I was born in November under what believers would call Scorpio.

    My all-time favorite ice cream is Turkey Hill chocolate marshmallow.

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!