Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Caught in the rain

Kara leaned back in her padded beach chair, twirling her empty glass between wet fingers.  If she ordered another pina colada, the bronzed cabana boy would come back over, flashing that ivory toothpaste-ad smile and undressing her with dark, knowing eyes.   Best to exert some self-control - not her strong point - and go back to the honeymoon suite. 

With a sigh, Kara set down the sugar-rimmed glass, retied her sparkly black bikini straps and slid a dainty foot into her new flip flops, taking a moment to note the curve of her perfectly smooth calf.  All those pre-wedding workouts sure had paid off:  she'd never been in such good shape.  Gasping for her last breath in spin class, she'd imagined Sean's eyes widening as she stepped out of her wedding dress and struck a pose in her ruffled white garter.  It was all she needed to keep going.

Kara stepped past the swaying fringe of the beach umbrella beside her chair, and tripped over her empty glass.  Maybe three pina coladas had been too many...a firm hand closed on her arm, steadying her as she looked up into the cabana boy's heated gaze.  "Careful, miss," he murmured, and Kara quickly slipped her left hand behind her back, wiggling her rings loose.  No need to confuse the dear boy.

Moaning underneath him, Kara's mind finally cleared of all thought...Sean, the horrified, pitying faces of friends and family, ripping off the hideous white dress alone.  For a few desperate moments, her sky was blue again.


I wrote this for an Indie Ink challenge.  I was challenged by My Eclectic Book with "Pina coladas, beach umbrella, one rain cloud and cabana boys."  I challenged Cedar with "It was never enough."


16 comments:

  1. MMMMmmm Cabana boy... thanks for bringing HIM to life with such vivid detail! I'll be sure to have sweet dreams tonight!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful. I so love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh...dangerous. This was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved it! wonderful response...yummy cabana boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. What a nice taste of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your writing! I liked this post a lot. I'm supposed to pass my blog award down to fifteen newly discovered blogs and since I'm new, you're technically newly discovered to me! So here: http://camille-nikole.blogspot.com/2011/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Yay! And I'm happy that I get to keep reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure glad she found some respite in her sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If "pina colada" was a story, this would be it. Nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah for cabana boys! Today is apparently your day. I gave you an award as well. Stop by and grab it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this! Great response to your prompt. It definitely left me wanting more, wondering what exactly happened at the wedding...and kind of wanting to punch Sean.

    Oh, and very yummy cabana boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sizzle, steam and spunk. Great writing, great reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh indulgences! Great challenge. Hey ixy - have a great weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kara's mind finally cleared of all thought...Sean, the horrified, pitying faces of friends and family, ripping off the hideous white dress alone.

    That...leaves me with so many questions. And, another, why did she still have the rings on? Love writing that leave me wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AND????
    What happens next or what happened before?
    Either way, this was a great piece and I think this might take pina coladas to a whole different level.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh thanks for linking this up at my blog hop. Lovely jubely! Shah .X

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!