Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let's pretend that matters

The road is a glistening black snake slithering away from us, writhing in the sun.  Gazing out the car window at the ripening countryside, I breathe in music like air; the notes slide down my throat and dance inside me.  Meredith turns around in the front seat, hair settling over her shoulders like a golden shawl, and laughs at my dreamy expression. 

I ignore her, focusing instead on thoughts of Sean’s dark wavy hair and lithe body.  He is larger and emptier every time I think of him, like a huge inflatable doll, and I blow him up with expectations and pieces of fairy tales.  Unknown to him, he has become a knight.

Natasha and Meredith pull boys toward them like magnets, but I’m fifteen and fearing I’ll soon be sweet sixteen and never been kissed.  Already my friends are condescending, patting my shoulder with smug smiles and assurance that a great guy will come along soon.  I need a boyfriend now, one that will impress my friends, even make them jealous.  And here's Sean, my soulmate arriving just in time, perfect as can be.


I edited this for an Indie Ink challenge from something I wrote awhile ago and didn't really like.  I'm still not a big fan, but the inspiration juices ran dry on this one.  Boo.  Hopefully I'll do better next week.

Tara from Thin Spiral Notebook challenged me with "That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!" and I challenged Yvonne from Attracted to Shiny Things with "a furry whale, tattoos and a succubus."

9 comments:

  1. I'd love to know more about this girl... When the creative juices start flowing again, please continue? <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. It gives a taste of her frustration and longing. What teen can't relate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it - you got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I breathe in music like air; the notes slide down my throat and dance inside me."

    I love this line. You can tell this girl is different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it! If these aren't ur creative juices flowing I am definitly waiting for when they do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. True teenaged angst, "when will I be loved." Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glistening black snake...notes dance inside you. I love this. All of this. You write so beautifully. So much said in so few words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ixy,
    I wanted to let you know that I did the challenge, but for some reason I thought it had to be turned in by 11 EASTERN time. So I was kicked out of the challenge. Whatever. I wrote this for you:

    http://attractedtoshinythings.blogspot.com/2011/07/carnivale.html

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!