Sunday, August 14, 2011

A million different people

Last week's Sunday Stealing was fun, so I'm linking up for part 2 of the Nasty 31 this week (part 1 is here).  Here they are:

16)  What's the longest shift you worked at a job?

16 hours at a client when I was working at a public accounting firm, and it wasn't a one-time incident.  And that's why I'm working in industry now.


When I was saving up for university, I worked a LOT of shifts at McDonald's.  One day I came home at 10:00PM and answered the phone with "Welcome to McDonald's.  May I take your order, please?"  Sigh...

17)  What was the last concert you attended?

Britney Spears two years ago.  It wasn't as good as I expected, but I also didn't expect to have to stand in stilettos for 3 hours for the ridiculous price we paid.  I'm still pissed off, actually.  When we saw Christina Aguilera, we paid $100 less per ticket and got to SIT in the center of the seventh row back from the stage.  If it's not a mosh pit, I expect a seat with my ticket or an explicit statement that there will not be a seat, in which case I'm not buying.


18)  What was the last DVD movie you watched?



19)  How did you like the film?

Objectively I think it was a good movie, but I'm no longer emotionally able to handle watching children be killed.  The grief of the little boy's twin brother was too much for me to handle and I wish I hadn't seen it.  Just like I wish I didn't have to know about the children dying in Somalia's drought, when there's nothing I can do about it. 

If I could magically take all the water in our grocery store there right now, I would.  But I can't and it's horrible to know death is inexorably bearing down on all these innocent people while we sit here with more than we need.

20)  What comedian do you love?

My husband.

21)  Do you ever sleep in the nude?

How else would you sleep?  Click here for more thoughts on this topic.

22)  Have you ever had a long-distance relationship?

Not unless you count my pen pals when I was 10 years old.

23)  What do you think of astrology?

I don't believe my daily horoscope bears any resemblance to reality, but the description of my zodiac sign is a bizarrely accurate outline of my personality.



24)  What's your favourite song lyric?

From Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve:

Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this life...
Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money then you die.
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down...
You know the one that takes you to the places where all the veins meet, yeah.

No change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change,
but I'm here in my mold, I am here in my mold.
But I'm a million different people from one day to the next...

25)  Tell us something random about yourself.

J. and I have matching tattoos that we designed for our 15-year anniversary.  I love mine and I want more.

26)  Have you ever attended a theme party?  If you have, do tell.

Just a Hallowe'en party at the university bar.  I dressed up as Elvira and fell off the stage while I was dancing.  Sadly it was not the last dancing-related fall I had.

27)  What is your favourite thing about winter?

Falling asleep under a blanket with a good book, with firelight flickering against the snow drifts on the window, and the smell of pine from our Christmas tree filling the air.


28)  What was the name of your first pet?

Midnight.  She was a jet black dwarf rabbit.  I tied her to a swing set leg while I went inside for supper one summer evening, and when I came back she had chewed through the skipping rope and gone off and gotten knocked up.  Of course I didn't realize she was pregnant until she started ripping pieces of fur out of her stomach and piling them in the corner, and then tiny pink wriggly things started appearing in the fur.  It was pretty scary since I initially thought they were intestines, not babies.


29)  What have you done so far this weekend?
  • Whupped J.'s ass at Euchre

  • Bopped around in a Body Attack class, followed by Zumba

  • Barely avoided a nervous breakdown thanks to a cranky, teething one year old

  • Had an amazing 2 hour nap after finally convincing (aka letting her cry it out) S. to go to sleep

  • Caught up some of my blog comments

  • Celebrated 7 years of wedded bliss

  • Read part of my overdue library book

  • Uselessly picked up clutter around the house, which one day later looks exactly the same as before I picked up the clutter.  This is why I don't clean.

  • Enjoyed a magnificent filet of fish and small fries

  • Found excerpts of an obstetrics textbook and extensively researched dichorionic twins so I know what type of risk levels I'm dealing with, and then made J. listen to bits of the research.  Because I'm crazy like that.

  • Ignored the work I brought home in case the whim suddenly struck me to review bank reconciliations

Very productive!

30)  Has your humour ever been called "sick"?

On a regular basis, and I've learned to keep my idea of what's funny to myself in order to avoid such insults.  Although I have found other humour sickos like me here in the blogosphere!

31)  If you could have one thing, what would it be?

A happy marriage, and I'm so thankful I've been blessed with one.



6 comments:

  1. Thank you, I needed that laugh out loud part! Midnight's babies being mistaken for intestines almost caused a spray of granola on my laptop screen. AND I learned something new as I did not know they took their own fur to make a 'nest'. So educational! Thanks Ixy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was super fun! Thanks for sharing. I love the photo of you and your husband to finish it. That's an awesome way to end a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rabbit intestine babies! Oh, the beauty of childbirth.

    And also, I love your wedding dress in that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On 20 I wish you had told me this before. I had no idea how to avoid the trauma my sense of humor seems to evoke. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I HATE sad movies. I can't stand anything but happy things.
    2) I love your wedding photo! You can tell when people exude love.
    3) I still think they look like intestines.
    4) Love your blog! Just stopping by for Comment Love Sunday.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. A happy marriage is a very hard thing to have. I'm so happy you are happy :)
    And I love love love Britney. She is my favorite. I have always wanted to see her. She was just here a few weeks ago, but of course, I couldn't go

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!