Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Where's that soap?

I've always had a potty mouth.  At the age of eight, I received a stern lecture about my inappropriate use of the word "damn" in church.  Until someone complained to my dad (who was a church elder), about his daughter's wild behaviour, I'd had no idea that damn was actually a swear word.  My expressions of contrition were accepted, and the topic was closed until several weeks later when my dad and I were in the backyard hoeing the garden.


In addition to having a potty mouth, I'm pretty hot-headed.  It's not a great combination for functioning in polite society.  While picking weeds out from under the tomato plants, I pinched my fingers between two rocks.  I commented on this loudly, in such a fashion that my dad informed me that further words of this type would result in a soapy tongue cleansing.  I apologized, but not ten minutes had gone by before I dropped the garden hoe on my foot and yelled "DAMN it!!" at the top of my lungs. 


My dad silently put his garden tools down, marched me into the house and washed my mouth out with soap.  It didn't do any good.  I learned to use my inside voice, but the satisfaction of a good curse was born and has stayed with me to this day.  My blog is my little piece of Internet home, and I have no interest in censoring it.  So if the occasional four-letter word scares someone off, f**k it - I write for myself first. 


As for other blogs, swearing has never stopped me from reading someone's blog and often endears them to me, because I like the honesty of their voice.  Of course you don't need to swear to be authentic, but I click best with people who have a snippy sarcastic side, and naughty words tend to signal someone I'm going to enjoy getting to know.  Overly smiley, positive people kind of make me want to smack them, and I associate someone who never swears with someone who asks people if they have a case of the Mondays.  Not good.


Like veganism, there are degrees of swearing avoidance.  I draw my swearing line at profanity, which I define as using "Jesus Christ" in any situation other than worship.  At best, I think these comments are disrespectful to many people, and at worst, downright sacrilegious.  I don't put OMG in that category, obviously (see previous post!).

I'm also starting to watch my language in front of S.  She's 13 months old and just like my dad, I don't want to hear "what the hell" come out of my baby girl's mouth if she stubs her toe!  It's not cute, it's trashy.  I'm not overly concerned with being ladylike in general, but I do know the rules and am capable of behaving very nicely when required.  I expect the same from S. and will teach her manners accordingly...swearing not included.

Mama’s Losin’ It

This topic came to mind courtesy of Mama Kat - her linky's here.

15 comments:

  1. my kid hates to hear me swear. she's a rule follower & it distresses her when mommy breaks the swearing rule. i never would have guessed that my daughter would be so much like my mom, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a teacher, I don't swear often, because to say it's frowned upon would be an understatement :) (sorry, couldn't help myself) But I am full of sayings. I say Gracious a lot... Shut the Front Door is another regular.

    It's funny, because as far as blogs I read, it just depends...sometimes it feels like someone is using profanity for the sake of getting a rise and other times it just flows with the post...and there is really no rhyme or reason to how I'm going to react...

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned how to swear from my dad. He's a pastor. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your favourite swearword, I'm partial to pissant, it doesn't make any sense but sounds funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid my mom overheard me tell a friend that I didn't 'give a damn'. I too got my mouth washed out with soap. It didn't stop me from swearing, just made me more careful to be aware where my mom was at the time I did swear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the cursing is within the context of the post, and it's something that you'd say in everyday speech, it doesn't turn me off at all. But a profanity-laced rant containing only curse words just doesn't work for me, because it seems contrived, at least to me.

    And please don't refer to your own child as the "little f**ker" - that's not cool at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree that it depends on how it is used and where. I curse like a sailor sometimes at home but try to be respectful of the people I know. You have probably noticed I have Damn or hell or ass in some of my post. If it's part of the story it's part of the story. I have seen profanity pushed to the limit in some blogs and it saddens me because in some cases i think the post would be great if it wasn't for the over use of the F bomb. As far as kids go you nailed it though, I hate to hear little kids cursing all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure my first word was the eff word. My Dad was in the Air Force for 26 years and then was a cop for 10. Um, I don't think it's healthy to go through an entire day without swearing at least twice!

    That said, I choose not to swear on my blog. My in-laws are my most regular readers and I don't swear in person around them. So I won't swear on my blog. At least not yet. ;-)

    Visiting from Mama Kat's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your post - I agree with watching what you say in front of your daughter - My potty mouth and been on lock down the last 9 years around the house - of course I sound like a truck driver when I hang out with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree, agree, f--king agree! I too have a potty mouth, but have attempting to bite my tongue a bit more since my older daughter called my H a "douchebag". Not my best moment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Ixy -This made me laugh. My dad was unconventional to say the least and swore his way through life. My mother didn't - she blushed if she said shit, which was her only real digression into cursing, and only ever if she was really mad or something fell on her toe. ;D

    Here from trd linky.

    Shah from http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/08/weekend-creation-blog-hop-plus-2-poems.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am equal parts potty mouth / sarcastic twist / smiley face offender - I use them frequently as punctuation, but it's really more about making sure my tone is being read correctly. Sarcasm is one thing, but it doesn't always read well. The funny thing for me is, that I can clearly remember being 12 year old and my Dad chasing me around yelling at me for yelling bull about something. Not even bullshit, just bull! He would actually apologize for saying damn. I don't think I ever heard him swear until he was well into his 70s. Why he picked it up then is beyond me but hey, whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use smiley faces for exactly the same reason - a tendency to be sarcastic and therefore unintentionally offensive. I'm also pretty blunt and sometimes that reads as aggressive or angry when I'm just meaning to be clear. That is so funny about your dad though - maybe he decided he was old enough to say whatever he wanted?

      Delete
  13. Your story of you as a child reminded me of Bill Cosby's stand-up bit about his dad and swearing. He said that for years he and his brother thought their names were Damnit and Jesus Christ. Hilarious bit.
    I don't swear much on my blog, since my kids read it. In real life, around my friends and husband, sometimes a swear word just works better than any other word.
    We used to play a cardgame as kids called bullshit. We always wanted to play, as we were allowed to say a bad word. Until the day my little brother forgot which bad word it was and asked our cranky stepdad, "Do you want to play asshole?"
    OK, I've hijacked your post long enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is hilarious! And I love comments like this - definitely not hijacking.

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!