Thursday, October 27, 2011

Freedom

Long ribbons of pearls formed a noose around her neck.  He imagined pulling on them with a jerk to see her head fly up like the cork in his bottle of wine, letting the pressure out.  She smiled at him suddenly, her eyes sparkling in the candlelight.  "Happy anniversary," she whispered, placing her soft small hand on his and twining her leg around his calf, like a snake tightening its coils. 

He wondered where he might be if not here.  Dubai, Paris, a tiny apartment in Hawaii he never saw because he was on the beach.  Chesnut hair curtaining his body instead of blonde.  Whipping through the streets on a scooter behind a brilliant sunrise, everyone and no one all at once.

Bitterly he dragged his soaring thoughts back to her droning:  "...and then we could have a little picnic in the park on the way back.  What do you think?"  Her smile faltered.  "Are you alright, David?  You look flushed."  He curved his mouth upward at her and patted her arm.  "I'm fine," he said gently.  "Just daydreaming for a minute there.  That sounds great.  Is there anything else you wanted to do tomorrow?"

All that remained was to think of a way to make the removal of this thorn from his side look like an accident.  Prison was out of the question for him.  He didn't have to try it to know he wouldn't like it.

*  *  *  *  *


For the Indie Ink writing challenge this week, Jamelah challenged me with "you didn't have to try it to know you wouldn't like it" and I challenged Seesaw with "skeletons, icicles and an exuberantly angry man."

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Excellent take on that prompt! I always love how you provide a unique response to prompts...it's so easy to go in an expected direction, and you never do. I love that about your writing.

    This was amazing. I really hate this guy, and yet, I'm so intrigued by him. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Totally unexpected but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh...I want to hate him...but I figure there must be a reason for his anger.

    intriguing

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!