Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mini musings

This week was a great Sunday Steal - lots of interesting questions and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these too.  The linky's here if you want to do your own list.



41. What is a quote that you love?

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." W.C. Fields

42. Do you think of pure hate as something humanity created?

Yes.

43. When was the last time you wanted to scream?

When I was standing in line for 20 minutes at a retail store, watching the sales people leisurely wandering around, flirting, chatting and re-folding sweaters while ignoring the empty extra till and the 10 people in line.  Do you want our fucking money or not?

44. Do you ever at times see the world in black and white?

I can see shades of grey in most things, but seeing the merits of someone else's position doesn't mean I agree with it in the end.

45. Have you ever thought that cell phones are too obtrusive?

All the time.  Although not so much now that yelling about your personal business on your cell phone has become the social equivalent of farting in public.  Thank God.

46. In your life, where do you think the rainbow will end?

In Skittles?

47. What is something that you never want to do again?

Lose a child.  I'm still working through the grief of losing my unborn baby at 12 weeks, and my soul shudders at the thought of a later loss.  I don't know how those mothers can go on, although if you have other children that would be a reason to keep going.  It's a horror I pray I'll never experience.  No parent should outlive their child.

48. When was the first time you realized the world was small?

Never.  One lifetime isn't enough to see and do everything the world has to offer.

49. How you spend your time contemplating life’s mysteries?

No special meditation time here - I just think about the deep stuff whenever it randomly crosses my mind, which is frequently.  I like blogging because it's a chance to talk about things that don't necessarily come up in daily life.

50. Ever discuss your political beliefs with people?

Occasionally, but I'm fairly apathetic about politics.  I'm so disgusted by the behaviour of all three of Canada's major political parties that I didn't vote in our last provincial election.  I usually vote because I believe it's important to acknowledge that as a woman I have the right to vote freely, since that wasn't and isn't always the case.  But this time I felt like I couldn't actually place an X beside any of those names in good conscience, so I didn't go.

51. Do you care about the environment?

Here's some brutal honesty for you:  Yes, I care, but not enough to change anything about my lifestyle beyond recycling my newspapers and plastic water bottles.  You won't find any low-flow toilets or hideous fluorescent low-energy lighting in my house. 

52. What’s your motto for life?

This:


53. Is progress destroying the beauty of the world?

Yes.  Big cities are the ugliest places imaginable - like living in the bottom of a garbage can, pee smell and all.

54. Do you believe there is life somewhere else in the universe?

I don't know how any educated person could believe life exists only on our single planet out of billions of others.  What form that life takes and whether we've ever encountered it are different questions.

55. Would you like to rule a country?

No, I'd like to be rich without the inconvenience of fame or responsibility.  Since I consider lotteries to be a tax on stupid people and don't buy tickets, this wish is unlikely to ever come true.

56. Do you believe everything has a purpose?

No.  If someone murders your loved one or you get cancer, it's not God's will or an opportunity for you to learn or grow.  It's just the cruelty of fate reaching out to strike at you. 

57. Is war ever for the best?

No.  And yet, was there any other way to stop Hitler?  So maybe yes.  I don't know.

58. Could you kill anyone in defense of self or loved ones?

Without hesitation.  I also would have absolutely no problem being the executioner for most people on death row.  I would feel a great sense of pride in personally removing Paul Bernado or Karla Homolka from this life, hopefully as painfully as possible.  I don't need to see the videotapes to know that, and I don't care if that stance is mocked as arising from emotion rather than logic.  Sometimes the emotional response is the right one.  If you're trying to avoid capital punishment and there's incontrovertible proof you raped and murdered a child, you don't want me on your jury.

59. How do you react to people (Such as Governor Rick Perry) who don't believe global warming is really our fault?

Dumbass. 

60. Does love conquer all?

Yes, if you consider the full definition of love in the sense of "love your neighbour as you love yourself".  Romantic love alone is no magic cure, and life events such as the death of a child can destroy even the happiest marriages.

61. Is euthanasia morally acceptable?

I have huge reservations about how it's carried out, but yes, I believe in dying with dignity.  Why do we offer that kindness to our pets but allow our human loved ones to suffer?

62. Is world peace impossible?

Yes.  Humans have proven themselves to be a vicious, territorial species that is biologically incapable of refraining from homicide at a societal level.

63. Is pride a good or a bad thing?

I want to say good, but I think Western society has become pathologically narcissistic and I shouldn't encourage it (says the blogger haha!).

64. What do you think is the purpose of your life?

I don't think there is one, beyond being true to myself while being the best mother and wife I can be.  Cliched but real.

65. Do you believe in karma?

It would make me feel a lot better if I did.  The lack of justice in the world has depressed me since I was old enough to understand the concept of fairness.  Of course I've done and said things I'm ashamed of, but based on what I read in the newspaper about the behaviour of the other 6 billion inhabitants of this planet, I should be polishing my halo right now.

What are your thoughts on the questions above?

11 comments:

  1. Excellent answers! I particularly love the video, great song. Cheers!

    The Vintage Recipe Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers, particularly #58. Best answer I've seen to that one so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful - those are some TOUGH questions; I don't think I could answer all of them in one day. Loads to think about....

    Nice to meet you (via FTLOB), and I also hope you never have to lose a child again. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious post to read on Comment Love Sunday! I appreciate (and feel!) your frustration with lame retail workers! With all the problems of people trying to find jobs, how do these bad workers keep theirs?! Ridiculous.

    Regardless, Happy Sunday!

    -Sarah from http://lovelovelovesar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time at your site from FTLOB. Great post and I'll be back again to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popping in from FTLOB. Loved your responses and reflections to those questions. It's a wonderful way to help your readers get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the quote and I think there is a lot of wisdom in it actually.

    #42 is tough. I bet you and I could have a lengthy debate about this. I think I would disagree to a point. I don't think humanity created hate. I think it was something that was always a part of our genetic make-up. Hate was always there, it was never created. The really crazy thing about hate is that it only exists within humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quote you have listed first made me laugh. And I love your answer to #48. I completely agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Popping in from WOE weekend linky.
    You handled the questions with style... I don't think that I would've managed all of them... I would have probably said pass... pass... LOL!
    Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your qoute I am a new follower come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Some interesting comments! Actually, a rainbow once ended in our backyard! Sadly, no pot of gold was found. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!