Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chore day

For some reason, I really struggled with this week's Indie Ink prompt.  After a week of imaginative drought, I've resorted to a time-limited "write without thinking or editing moment" to see what comes out.  I haven't done one of these in awhile, so this should be interesting (for me at least!).  The prompt was "Think of the most mundane thing you can and turn it into something everyone would want to do."  Here goes:

*  *  *  *  *

It's chore day, and we stride from room to room in mini whirlwinds, flinging dust and possessions in our wake.  The piles of laundry slowly, steadily melting down until S. jumps into the basket with the cat, chortling in her wild baby way.  I tickle her and she laughs and laughs, then climbs out of the basket and hands me each piece of clothing to hang up, her expression serious now.  Time to get down to business.

J. takes out the vaccuum cleaner and S.'s scared at first, before she decides it's some kind of motorized toy and climbs onto it and kicks the side, like she's trying to jump-start a horse.  We run back and forth across the area rug, singing and shouting over the growling ride.  Carpet cleaned, the stereo goes on and S. dances, flinging her tiny fists in the air and stomping her feet, while J. unloads the dishwasher and fills the sink to rinse the next load.  She's a water baby and she shrieks with laughter when I flick soapy droplets at her hands.

We head into the bathroom and I'm spritzing Windex on the mirror, when I feel something spray my arm.  S. has picked up the damp toilet brush and is waving it triumphantly around her head like a disgusting victory flag.  Making a mental note to throw out the toothbrushes she just anointed with toilet water, I hand her a clean damp cloth instead, which she applies with great vigour to the bathtub faucet and the cat.  J. comes in and hangs up the freshly dried towels with a sigh of relief.  We're done. 

The house is clean and we are happy.  Just another boring chore day, filled with everything I ever wanted.

*  *  *  *  *

Well, this prompt beat me, no doubt about it...I think this is one of the worst things I've written in some time.   I guess they can't all trigger moments of genuis, although it did make me feel all warm and fuzzy thinking about how much I love my little family.

For the Indie Ink writing challenge this week, Head Ant challenged me with "Think of the most mundane thing you can and turn it into something everyone would want to do" and I challenged K. Syrah with "None of this would have happened if it weren't for the onions."

3 comments:

  1. I love it! You totally make me want to clean the house with a family around! Well, done and accomplished the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the cat deserved a bigger part, but otherwise I can't fault the teamwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh IXY, how i´ve missed your writings :)) you´re adorable!!!!! :))) And by the way... that IS NOT a bad WRITING!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!