Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I didn't hear the recess bell - where did everyone go?

Mama Kat had a great prompt this week:  How has blogging changed for you in the past year? What are your goals for your blog this year?

Mama’s Losin’ It

This was a timely prompt, as I've noticed a lot of my favourite bloggers have really slowed down on posting and in some cases quit altogether.  I'm always the kid left standing on the playground, yelling "It's still fun guys, I promise!" as everyone wanders off to a better game.  It appears blogging is no different, and I'm feeling sad about it.  I don't follow blogs I'm not going to read, so I really get to know everyone on my reading list and miss them when they leave.

My "following" philosophy also makes it hard to find new blogs.  I love blog hops, but it's surprisingly difficult to find a hop that includes lifestyle blogs and that doesn't insist that you follow everyone you meet.  I don't want people to follow me if they're not going to read and respond to my posts, and vice versa.  I'm not a photographer, foodie or crafter, and reviews/giveaways bore me.   Sometimes it feels like that's all there is in the blogosphere and I get frustrated. 

It occurred to me yesterday that I should just visit a bunch of the blogs that my current blog friends have listed on their blogrolls.  Kind of like finding a date through mutual friends - if someone likes both of you, maybe you'll like each other!  Sigh.  Thank God I'm married and don't have to actually date.  I think it's clear how successful that would probably be.

My blogging style hasn't really changed over the last year, other than the occasional dabbling in fiction.  I enjoyed it, but they seemed to be my least popular posts.  The strict deadlines to submit your piece also added a level of stress to my life that I decided I didn't need right now.  My job often requires significant, unexpected overtime, and when I found myself snapping at my family to be quiet so I could finish a story I'd had to leave to the last minute again, I knew it was time to dial back on that commitment.

Blogging goals for 2012...hmmm.  I've never had as many comments on my posts as I would have liked, so I'd improve that.  However, I don't know how to be more interesting and I don't want to change who I am.  I have visited blogs before that seemed very dull to me, but had TONS of followers and comments, so obviously my tastes and personality run contrary to the norm.  Meh.  I yam what I yam.

15 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I've been so sucky lately! I just saw your comment today and was thinking 'woohoo Ixy!' but then I felt bad because I have not posted in weeks! I swear, I think about it and I have three posts I'm working on, but dang it, life just keeps getting away from me! But I do love it and I love the people I've met and connected with in the bloggy world. I'm definitely going to get better at keeping up with myself. Even the reading I'm so behind on. I keep up regularly with yours, Natalie's and a couple of others, but I'm so behind on so many....maybe my New Year's Resolution will be to be more committed to my blogging....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't like theme blogs either. i'm not a theme and i can't stick to one myself, so i just write whatever crap seems must relevant and interesting to me on any particular day. much like yourself. maybe that's why i like reading you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome post!

    comments are just weird -- posts that i think will be bombarded with other peeps thoughts go by without barely a word & others that i think are nothing special are wildly popular?
    go figure?

    oveall -- i have tried to comment on other people's blogs more & reply to the comments i recieve?
    is it working?
    not sure?
    hah!

    at any rate -- your blog rocks & you should have GOBS of comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow you cause I like what you write! I am writing more this season cause I have the time off. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad we agree on following people's find interesting. I don't like the hops that require you follow everyone either. and I've also never had tonsof comments. And I know I don't comment on every post, but I promise I read them! Good prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl! First sorry I haven't gotten over here as much as I wanted to. I'm hoping mine is not one of the dull ones you refer too. Don't answer that. I have noticed that a lot of my favorites are just not writing too. It's like they dropped off the face of the planet. Makes me sad. I do the same thing. I follow those I have an interest in reading. Which is why I have your button posted on my wall. Have a Merry Christmas lady. Hoping your little one is feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get you...I love this post because I can so relate to you. I have 7 followers. Oh, well, numbers aren't everything. I don't follow a ton of blogs unless I intend on reading them and commenting too. I am glad to have stumbled upon your blog and am looking forward to seeing if we can be blog friends (big cheesy grin). Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, followers aren't everything. I was offended at losing a follower a couple months ago. Well, actually, I wasn't offended because it gave me a great rant post.

    You are right, though. It's weird how some blogs have a large amount of followers and comments. I go to their archive and see they have been blogging in less time than me. In some cases the writing isn't that captivating (in my opinion). In those times I just figure they are hella good at hobnobbing on blog hops and social media. Meh. :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been blogging for 2 years and there are still bloggers who disappeared that I wish would come back and post sometimes! Sigh. It is a bummer.

    I know that My Little Pony castle you commented about - it was totally cool! My sons are getting a couple of 'used' but like new gifts this year. Hopefully they will remember them fondly too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you am what you am....or something like that! I haven't been by in such a long time. I feel like life has had me sidetracked. Hope things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I could have written this post...I used to hop religiously. Write a real comment on a whack of blogs, but only follow if I was genuinely interested. I haven't found another site quite like mine, but I'm ok with that. I would love to have higher numbers but I just can't do the 'follow me and i'll follow you back' thing. As it is I just went and deleted a bunch of blogs I had to join just to join a hop, but never read because I don't share their interests in any way. This blogging world baffles me--it's got a high school quality with some more popular blogs that are prettier, shinier and richer. But, I have also found some amazing friends and we misfits are loyal to each other :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must admit, I'm terrible at reading blogs and leaving comments...it's def. something I want to work on this upcoming year. :)

    Good deal on sticking with the "game", sometimes I'm sure it will be slow while other times a fury of madness.

    Merry Christmas!
    Carrigan's Joy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I try to get around and read/follow/comment on ones I like. I'm always glad when I find a new blogger to relate to, who writes well, and who I genuinely enjoy (like I did w/you today). If it's something you enjoy, I say stick to it and maybe new friends will join you on the blacktop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.

    Happy Holidays.

    Tere

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the same way about your last paragraph with the comments thing. I have so many followers yet one or two comments at the most and majority of them come to say "follow my blog" which isn't even a comment in my opinion. Then I see other people who have like 30 or so comments and I'm like really? I want to be like that. But don't know how. Guess I'm not cool like that. But here's to a better year with lots more love for our blogs.
    I even tagged you in a post of mine! http://to-calm-insanity.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-got-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!