Saturday, December 3, 2011

This is what I get for joking about fire

The good news is that our house did not burn down.  The bad news is that leaving your cranky old laptop on your bed all day is really, really stupid. J. came home Friday afternoon to find it billowing smoke on top of one hot duvet cover. 

On the plus side, now I have a fancy new laptop that will probably be amazing once I get everything set up.  I'm a technical moron and this is not my idea of fun.  It appears we may have to buy a new wireless router, since I wrote the security key down on a post-it and now we can't find it.  This is actually very out of character for me, but the combination of motherhood and a professional job with lots of overtime has done a serious number on my normal organizational ninja skills.

The keyboard is also loaded with hot keys that I keep triggering like little minefields, so suddenly the screen will zoom in to 400% or change all the font to Pirate-speak and I don't know how it happened and therefore how to put it back.  Right now the font is so big I feel like I'm reading something for the legally blind.

This is why I'm on blogger, not wordpress or some other platform that requires any coding ability at all.  I had enough trouble figuring out how to make a button (I still can't copy them properly from other people either - and yes, I know you have to re-type the smart quotes, whatever the hell they are.  Doesn't make a difference.).

I'm just glad we're all safe (including the cats) and our house that we worked so hard for is safe too, along with all the memories it contains.  I'll leave you with my public service announcement for the day:  Don't leave your laptop on or near anything flammable!

11 comments:

  1. How freakin' scary!! I'm SO glad to hear that this incident wasn't worse and that you, your family, and your house are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez!!! Glad all is well...technically disadvantaged though you may be. No shame in that. I'm right there with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is something I would SO do! Yay for a new laptop, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Were you able to save anything important from the old laptop? Or had you already backed it up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl...I think you need a vacation! :-) Have fun with the new bit of technology, and thank goodness it was just blowin'smoke, like most of the world tends to do, instead of blazing a true trail!!! Glad everyone and all is well. Have a terrific holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes, I'm glad you're all okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, fortunately WP doesn't require coding because otherwise I'd be stuffed too! Sounds like you're having a great weekend, at least you scored a new laptop from it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh, that's my husband's huge song he's always singing "NEVER leave the laptop on fabric without something hard under it to let it breathe!!!!" reading this makes me think maybe there's a reason for it.
    i'm glad you & hubby & babykins are a-okay. and once you get used to the new computer, you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty scary. I would never have thought twice about it.

    And I also have decided that Wordpress is just too complicated for me (as much as I hate Blogger). I still haven't been successful at posting one of the buttons that people can post to their sites.

    Glad disaster was averted. I think "Flaming Laptop" would make a great name for a blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of a Pirate speak option. I gave the stove top a wipe before going to work earlier this week and accidentally caught a gas tap. When my wife came home six hours later the house was full of gas. Thankfully she smelt it before switching on the light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad it wasn't worse than a new laptop and duvet. I have let my laptop get really hot on my bed...looks like I won't be doing that anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!