Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Eighteen years

When we met, you were intoxicating. I wanted to climb inside you, intertwine our souls so deeply we could never be separated. I couldn't imagine our love story would ever end.

Slowly the years slid by, passion leaching out of us until our kisses and words were dry and empty, drained by work and chores and children. Grief pulled us together before fear pushed us apart, until we came to this:

The betrayal and our daughter's wide terrified eyes underneath the stenciled words on our bedroom wall - ...and they lived happily ever after - as I scream at you to get out and never come back.

The click of your cell phone going straight to voice mail over and over. The hours darkening steadily into evening and then night as my panic grows. The purr of a motor at 3:00AM and blood roaring in my ears as I stagger across the room to greet the police officer, praying desperately to a god I don't believe in anymore.

Sitting alone on our bed staring numbly at the dawn creeping up the sky. The new text icon blinking like a beacon on my phone, flaring a spark of hope. Running in my bare feet across the snow to your truck and flinging my arms around your slumped shoulders.

Today when I say "I love you," it's anything but hollow. Happy anniversary.

* * * * *
 
This post was inspired by Trifecta's prompt to write a piece between 33 and 333 words incorporating the word "hollow," defined as "lacking in real value, sincerity or substance: false, meaningless".
 


38 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love to write, but I can not ad lib based on someone else's criteria.

    Don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy a good prompt partly because it often pushes me out of my comfort zone. But I agree with you - there have been several times where I just haven't been able to connect with a prompt and get something down on paper. I guess I'm happy with the result often enough that I keep doing it.

      Delete
  2. Wow. What a powerful post and so succinctly written-amazing.

    ICLW #38

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how your ran counter with the definition than most people with "It's anything but hollow". Sometimes I find it is easy to get sucked into a certain way of thinking about something and end up forgetting other possibilities. Every attempt I've made so far for this prompt has centred on the negative use of "hollow". Thanks for the different slant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I wanted to take the definition in the other direction but it was hard to do - I had to fight the story the whole time and it still came out darker than I intended. Glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. Very nice. And Happy Anniversary! We celebrated 18 this year, too. It's a good number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! It's so crazy - we've been together now longer than apart.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic writing!
    Happy Anniversary!

    ICLW#7

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That wasn't what I was expecting. Nice job with the prompt. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, you are a great writer! Thanks for stopping by Gypsy Mama and Happy ICLW :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog! This was very well written and had me sucked in from the start. I wasn't sure what to think! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! It was supposed to feel topsy-turvy :)

      Delete
  9. I love that you took it to "anything but hollow" and I felt the roller coaster of what a marriage truly is like. Congratulations! I've been married almost 24 and so much life has happened, so many emotions, as you described wonderfully here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an amusement park ride, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. Lots of emotion in this piece! Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. COngrats on EIGHTEEN YEARS of marriage! I feel like you an dyour husband are unicorns in todays divorce world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'll have to remember to tell him he's a unicorn!

      Delete
  12. So many emotions that you brilliantly captured! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the play between the purr of a motor and blood roaring. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was incredible.

    And, wow, 18 years- amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so crazy. We've been together for more than half of my life.

      Delete
  15. oh beautifully written. i love that you went with "anything but" as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I wanted to take that approach, but it was harder than I expected to write it that way!

      Delete
  16. Marriage is made up of highs and lows...glad this ended up on a 'high' :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was so good. You evoked so much emotion out of this short piece. 18 years, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful, but it makes me feel so old too. We've been together a whole young adult ;)

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!