Thursday, November 1, 2012

Get out of the street and stop being so happy

I'm not much of a drinker. I don't really like the taste of alcohol and in my 20s I didn't need it to have a good time. Catch me in the right mood, and I can be uninhibited to the point that I was almost arrested at 19 (Canada's legal age) for being drunk in public. I was completely sober. However, dancing and doing high kicks in the street outside a nightclub at 2:30am tends to make police officers suspicious of your blood alcohol level. Luckily, I got off with a warning to "get out of the street and stop being so happy." Alrighty then.

High kicks    are fun!
http://thebeat.iloveny.com

Now in my 30s, I find that drunken mood rarely comes along on its own, which makes me sad. Although I can't do high kicks anymore, I miss the exuberance of loving life so much you feel compelled to fling your legs in the air. The combination of working full-time and parenting small children has ground the joy right out of me. I'm hoping the feeling is temporary.

In the meantime, an alcohol-injected night out each year brings back the happy times. Last October, three weeks after I lost my second twin, J. and I went to a retro video dance party. It was the first time in two years that I wasn't pregnant or nursing, and I got really, really drunk for the second time in my life. One of my favourite songs came on, one that always makes me laugh and feel sexy, extra pounds be damned. I danced with complete abandon like I hadn't in 10 years, shaking all that misery and stress off, my spirit flying high and free. And I slowly started to heal.



Mama’s Losin’ It

8 comments:

  1. Sober high-kicks? Sounds awesome! I'm a 39-year-old fat lady who can still do the splits. Just because. And I dance all the time, not just when I'm teaching lessons :)

    There are times that I feel motherhood has pressed the juices out of my grapes, but I can also see the light at the end of the tunnel. Either that or I'm hallucinating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh and cheered me up a bit too. I just want to stay juicy (boy, that sounds bad).

      Delete
  2. "Ground the joy right out." That is the truest statement I have heard in a long time. Love that you danced with wild abandon. I need to do that soon. I'm a little ground too deep these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing is very soothing. Hope you get a chance to go out soon.

      Delete
  3. By the way, LOVE the name of your blog. A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorite books of all time. :)

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dancing helps me. We have regular Friday night dining room dance offs. The kids want to turn on the crap referred to as hip hop (that baby shake your booty nonsense is NOT my hip hop!). Even the soul of today sucks. Turn on some damn Lakeside or The Gap Band so I can show you what real music is like. Stevie Wonder for REAL lyrics! Uh oh, I'm bopping now.

    And you're right, that carefree happiness is so hard to come by naturally anymore. Stupid life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dining room dance offs - great tradition! Sounds like something I'd like to get started in our house. But I'm a big fan of the booty shaking, I have to admit. I'm going to check out the music you mentioned above on Youtube though - I like pretty much everything except country and heavy metal.

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!