Thursday, November 29, 2012

Gold star!

Five pounds to go until I hit pre-Little Man weight! Woo hoo!! Then another 20 to get to pre-Sass weight...urk. If I can hit that first milestone though, the chances of me reaching the second one go up exponentially, because I find success really motivating. No resting on my laurels here: if I ace something, I try even harder the next time. Sometimes I miss school just for that steady string of A's (yes, I have learned to keep that tidbit to myself in public, ever since my Gr. 12 English teacher made fun of me mercilessly for my traumatized expression when I was told my final mark had fallen to 88% from 92%).

The nasty flip side is that if I can't excel at something, I don't want to do it. Being a rookie is fine and I'll work really, really hard to get better. Like, until I pass out or throw up kind of working hard. But if I don't start kicking ass within a reasonable period of time (which I define as about two days or so), I cut my losses and get out of there. My favourite quote is by W.C. Fields:

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No point in being a damn fool about it.

Yet another way in which motherhood is character-building. I feel like a big screw-up most of the time, but quitting isn't an option in this particular game. Maybe I should sign up for some continuing education courses - an A or two would cheer me right up. Or I'll just give myself a random gold star right now:

 
Ah...I feel better already.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the weight loss! I'm trying to lose weight myself, but I decided to just think of it in 5-lb. increments instead of the entire amount I need to lose. That way, I get to celebrate and feel like I've accomplished something more often ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm doing too - I feel overwhelmed if I think about the bigger numbers. Good luck with your weight loss.

      Delete
  2. Good for you! Visiting from the blog hop! Keep up the good work! I know how hard it can be to work out continually and eat right with babies and it is all worth it! Continue to be your awesome self!!!
    xo
    bethany

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!