Sunday, December 23, 2012

Happy Festivus!

I want to laugh. I need to laugh. My mother has let me down again, and every post that comes to mind is tinged by the bitterness that rises to the surface every time I'm reminded of how much she doesn't love me. I don't have the energy or patience to talk about that right now (maybe ever - you're welcome), so instead I've compiled a medley of my go-to places that are absolutely guaranteed to make me laugh. Hope this helps with your holiday stress, and please share your funny places too. I'm always looking for new ones.

~Hyperbole and a Half. This is hands-down the funniest blog ever. Ever. The author, Allie Brosh, has a book deal that's on hold as she deals with severe depression, so she hasn't posted recently. While she's recovering, it's worth your time to go through her archives. There's a reason at least 58,000 people are wishing her well and patiently awaiting her return.

~Damn you autocorrect.com. I know many of these text mishaps are faked. I don't care. Here's one of my favourites:

~Funnyexam.com. In my third year of university, I helped mark exams for one of my business school professors, and based on that experience I'm confident these are real. No need to make up test answer fails such as:


~Interview bloopers and other HR weirdness - just google it and get ready to laugh. Again, I'm quite sure most of these actually happened, because of my own interviewing experiences. People are so crazy you don't need to make it up.

~My own posts with the Seinfeld experiences label. Part of the reason I started blogging was because people told me I should start writing down all the ridiculous shit that happened to me for posterity. I don't know how this stuff happens to me, but it does.                                         

The only person I know who seems to stumble into the same kinds of unfortunate situations is Melynda at Craziness abounds. Oh, and my sister, who recently got stuck in the subway doors on the TTC for a good two minutes, holding up the train from leaving, before managing to wriggle loose and crash spectacularly to the floor in front of a car of unimpressed onlookers. Maybe it's genetic.

~Trailer Park Boys. A true classic. Here's Ricky and Julian stealing meat while Bubbles accidentally serenades them:


Finally in honour of the holiday season, I wish you all a Happy Festivus!


16 comments:

  1. I need a little giggle. I'll check thse out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your Mom is giving you grief at this time of year. I can certainly relate. Thanks for the funnies, and have a wonderful holiday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Festivus to you too! Good luck with the Feats of Strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I should be in good shape for them given the workout my infant and toddler give me every day.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your mom. I needed a laugh today, too, feeling lonely and sorry for myself. Which, in itself, ought to make me laugh, because I'm fully aware of the ridiculous drama of it :) But thanks for the links!

    When I first heard of damn you autocorect, I would lie in bed for hours reading it and cracking up. I would mean to just read a couple before I would go to sleep, but I was addicted and couldn't stop! My cousin lived with me at the time and would come in my room, wondering why I was cackling at 2am :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even try to find my favourite auto corrects, because I knew I'd get sucked into a vortex of reading them for the next 5 hours. Sorry you're having a sucky day - I hope at least some part of this post or links gave you a laugh.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. We must have the same mom. Heh. Merry Christmas in spite of moms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! My favorite cheer-me-up sites are thinkgeek.com and perpetualkid.com. I like to window shop, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love perpetualkid.com! I even did a post once on some of my finds there. Last time I checked they didn't ship to Canada though :(. I'll have to check out thinkgeek.com. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  7. Aw that sucks. I have a good friend whose Mum is out to get her most of the time, so I know of a little of what you must feel. Hope things improve for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm resigned to it most of the time, but every once in awhile it still gets to me. I just try to keep the contact to a level I can handle.

      Delete
  8. Love those funny websites and I definitely think I will turn to them when my infertility (or whatever else) has me feeling down. Found you through ICLW and I really like your writing style so I'm now following you. Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do cheer me up when I'm feeling down. Thanks for joining up!

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!