Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Merry-go-round

"I don't want to end up on that show I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant," I laughed two months ago, silently cursing Trojan and their weak condoms for putting me in this predicament. "I mean, my baby's only eight weeks old and my period hasn't started again, so how would I know?"

The doctor reassured me. "Well, your first clue would be that your milk supply would plummet. But it's unlikely you're pregnant, given you haven't had a post-partum period yet and you're breastfeeding. We can do an IUD insertion as a precaution if you'd like. It's 99% effective as emergency contraception and it lasts for up to five years."

I didn't need to think about it for long. All three of my pregnancies had been conceived on the first or second try, and one of them was a set of twins. No medical assistance involved. Clearly Jay just needed to breathe in my direction for my body to start whipping up a baby. After surviving a harrowing pregnancy bookended by miscarriage and a vicious bout of post-partum depression, a third child was out of the question. We'd already made a December appointment for Jay to turn off the baby faucet when the condom broke.

One emergency IUD later, I was back in the land of unfettered sex and took full advantage of it, plying Little Man with copious amounts of breast milk and formula to keep him quiet during the bed parties. After one late-night session, I slept in and nearly missed my Saturday morning zumba class. Bounding out of bed, I rushed downstairs and snapped at Jay, "Why didn't you wake me up?" before storming out the door.

At the dance studio, I stumbled through the routines, feeling strangely tired. The drive home was maddening, every idiotic driver in the city having apparently decided to take their car out for a Saturday spin. When I finally got home after wearing out the car's horn, Jay and the kids added to my irritation until I burst into tears, grabbed the breast pump and a carton of ice cream and stomped up the stairs to the master bedroom. Why did the world hate me? I took out my most relaxing book and tried to calm down.

Absorbed in Fifty Shades Darker, I was startled to look down after a half hour and discover I had pumped only one ounce of milk in between digging out scoops of ice cream. Weird, I thought before dropping the book and spoon in horror. What had the doctor said about milk supply? And why was I eating so much ice cream and being such a bitch? An hour later a negative pregnancy test eased my suspicions, but fear still crept along the back of my mind. It could be too early to detect.

The next morning I pretended my nausea wasn't there until it took over and I barely made it to the bathroom in time to throw up. I stared at my pale face in the mirror. Not a good sign. Not good at all. I called the ultrasound clinic to book an appointment confirming the IUD was positioned properly and there was no new family member incubating, but the morning of the appointment everything became clear when I went to the bathroom and discovered blood on the toilet paper.

I pelted out of the bathroom, shrieking with joy. "It's PMS!" I yelled at a wide-eyed Jay. "That's all! I'm not pregnant! I have my period!" I re-scheduled the ultrasound appointment for two weeks later and continued making up for the nine-month sex drought. My milk supply was still low, but I'd heard that could happen when your menstrual cycle returned. No worries.

Yesterday I bundled up Little Man and set off for the clinic. For the first time since I lost the twins, I was going to have a stress-free ultrasound. Hopping up on the table, I chatted away with the technician until I noticed she was no longer laughing at my jokes, but staring intently at the screen. A tremor of unease ran through me. The last time a technician was this quiet and focused on the exam, it was because she was trying to find a heartbeat that wasn't there anymore. I stared at the white ceiling tiles and pushed my anxiety away. Why did I have to be so melodramatic all the time? Everything was fine.

"I'm not supposed to tell you anything. But I'm going to tell you anyway because you need to know," said the technician abruptly, not looking at me. I tensed as my whole body went cold with shock. Oh.my.god. FUCK. That wasn't my period; it was implantation bleeding. This was it: financial ruin, the end of my sanity and my marriage. Another nine months of terror that at any moment I'd find myself on my knees in front of a toilet again, searching through the blood for a tiny body.

"Your IUD isn't in the right place, which means it's not working. So no unprotected sex!" the technician warned, shaking her finger at me. I was so relieved I could hardly speak to thank her, my legs shaking from the adrenaline rush as I hurried out of the exam room. As I walked toward my car, I started doing some basic math and my grin slowly faded. If my IUD wasn't working, that meant I'd been having unprotected sex since I got my period. Which was what, 14 days ago? Oh, shit.

Despite my best efforts, it looks like I'm on the merry-go-round again. It almost makes me want to take a vow of chastity for the next three months. Almost.

34 comments:

  1. This is my worst nightmare right now. I feel like I'm going to throw up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing no one feels about a pregnancy is indifference, that's for sure. Our whole lives we're either fervently hoping for it or terrified of it. Ugh.

      Delete
  2. Hope it all works out for you. That would be the opposite of my worst nightmare right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitated to write about this because I didn't want to be insensitive to the many readers who would give anything for a pregnancy. I hope your dreams come true soon.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. And don't be hesitant (and don't worry, you weren't insensitive in the slightest). I truly hope the best thing happens for you :)

      Delete
  3. Gulp. Biology is tricky and stressful. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best. Hoping it all works out.

      Delete
  4. Holy roller coaster ride Cat Woman!! Sometimes life is easier in moments like these when you let go of the steering wheel and let Fate do the navigating. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm trying to do at this point. I don't really have a choice.

      Delete
  5. Yikes. I hope things work out. Having to wait is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is not one of my virtues, so that's the worst part. I hate not being able to take any kind of action.

      Delete
  6. Oh boy, good luck - I hope it works out the way you want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this has my heart racing for you. I hope the two week wait isn't too excrutiating. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to think about it. Blog about it, yes, but not think about it.

      Delete
  8. You always have me hanging on to every word. I'm wishing the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I know - and I hate cliff hangers! I don't read books until I have all of the series, and I don't watch dramatic TV shows until I have all the seasons. Yeah. Not a fan of an unresolved ending, in fiction or real life.

      Delete
  10. Oh my! We use condoms, but I'm definitely always afraid of getting pregnant again! Hubby needs to get the snip-snip! My family is perfect as is! Crossing my legs--er, fingers--for you!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We called to book the appointment shortly before Little Man was born, but it took 4 months to get the appointment! If we'd known it would take so long, we would have called earlier.

      Delete
    2. I meant that MY hubby needs the good ol' snip. But that's good to know! I wouldn't have thought it to take that long to get an appointment either! Crazy!

      Delete
  11. We use condoms too, but every doctor tries to talk me out of it. I jsut can't deal with it all right now. I pray they work. This post is AWESOME. I am crossing my fingers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the THIRD time we'd had a condom break. I swear we're not doing anything particularly crazy. It's ridiculous.

      Delete
  12. Oh. My. Gosh. You have me on the edge of my seat. I really hope everything works out the way you want it too. Good luck, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I need all the luck I can get!

      Delete
  13. Oh Boy! I mean no boy, no boy! Yikes! I hope you make it through this whole thing with your sanity. Fingers crossed. Sending you a HUG ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The reproductive roller coaster stinks. We only wanted three kids, I promise. But after five pregnancies and fertility treatments, we have four. And then DH got a vasectomy THANK GOODNESS!

    If I were to miss a period right now, I'd assume I was starting menopause. For about three seconds, then I'd be all, "But your follow-up appointments showed no sperm!!! WTF???"

    I have peed on more sticks than most bears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last line really made me laugh! I thought my stick-peeing days were done, but apparently not.

      Jay's vasectomy is on Dec 14, so we really only need to make it through the next few months until his follow-up appointment shows he's clear. Surely we can do that...I hope.

      Delete
    2. That last line made me laugh too

      Delete
  15. Fingers crossed for you! I am sending this to my sister right now. Her first just turned a year old, and about five months ago she found out she was pregnant again. A little "whoops" made up of uncertain periods while she was nursing, and a combo of other factors. Definitely sped up their timeline for #2 by about a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, any closer in age than 2 years and you have your work cut out for you. Your poor sister. It would be really hard to deal with first trimester fatigue while still managing a 7-month-old.

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!