Monday, December 17, 2012

Mood music

Music is one of my favourite things to post about, so this week's Monday Listicle will have some overlap from past posts (especially The Music in Me). Hope you don't mind. I chose to do a take on 10 songs I love, as suggested by Stephanie at Mommy, For Real.


This is what I listen to when my mood ring says:

1) Joyful. Here's "Ode to Joy" by Beethoven in one of my favourite movies, Dead Poets Society.


2) Grieving. I've cried so many times in the raw howl of this song, finding healing in the release. It's "Soma" by The Smashing Pumpkins.

 
3) Loving. I'm an unabashed romantic and where others roll their eyes and snicker at "sappy drama," I'm on the edge of my seat, enraptured by the passion. "I Want to Spend My Lifetime Loving You" by Tina Arena and Marc Anthony was the backdrop for Jay's and my first dance at our wedding:


4) Rage. I swear when I'm pissed off (and excited, startled, happy, sad...fuck it, all the time). Don't click if that's a problem for you: "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit.


5) Playful. This song is pure happy times to me. The whole world feels bright while I'm dancing a jig to "Home For A Rest" by Spirit of the West.
 
 
6) Suicidal. I haven't been here for a long time, but this song and the faith I had then kept me alive until my husband and children could save me. Here's "Elle G." by Newsboys:


7) Sexy. When this song came out in 2001, I looked a lot like Ms. Spears, minus the blonde hair. Sometimes I miss that body so much I want to curl up in the fetal position and cry. When I hear "I'm a Slave 4 U" by Britney Spears now, I go to a happy place in my mind, where I felt hot for a few brief, perfect years.


8) Wistful. This was the hardest revelation I've ever had to face. It's "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M.

 
9) Powerful. On my way to my professional accountancy exam every morning (it was three days long), I would listen to this song to remind myself that I was smart and strong. I fought my way up this far and I wasn't going to lose my chance now, no matter how scared I was. Here's "Lose Yourself" by Eminem:


10) Philosophical. This is the song I'd like to have played at my funeral; it's who I am. It's "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve Pipe.


One last note:
 
I'm not silent on this tragedy out of indifference, but rather such a storm of emotion that I can't process it enough to write about it at this moment. The grief, shock and helplessness in the face of such evil and pain are too fresh. I will only say that these names are burned in my heart, and more than anything I wish there was some way to unravel time and make these names peacefully unknown again.



26 comments:

  1. "Ode to Joy" is one of my favourites too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I hear it I want to jump up and start wildly conducting. Love it.

      Delete
  2. A fabulous list all around! You and I seem to share a lot of musical tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed! It's nice to hear someone likes so many of the same songs, because it's quite an eclectic list.

      Delete
  3. I love Ode to Joy, too. It is one of those songs that you can just feel with your whole being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices! I love how you paired them with moods. Ode to Joy is a favorite. I don't know if you like classical music, but the entire symphony is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like classical music (piano lessons :))and we played other parts of the Ninth in my high school violin class. I don't remember much of it though. I should look it up again.

      Delete
  5. A fantastic assortment of music!! Not a single miss!
    And I realize it's been a long time since I sat down to enjoy some Smashing Pumpkins.

    and Spirit of the West -- who can sit still to that song?
    What a powerful visual - the candles with all their names. heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I've ever been able to refrain from dancing when Home for a Rest comes on - it's such a happy song.

      When I look at the picture with the candles, it hits me every time that there are just so many. One would be too many, but a class of candles is completely overwhelming.

      Delete
  6. Great list and a perfect tribute. Well said. And ditto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart hurts too much to talk about it, but I couldn't post for the first time without acknowledging what happened.

      Delete
  7. I loved your theming of songs! I think the Brittany Spears is my favorite on the list, I was much more in shape in 2001 too! Those darn kids! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given up on ever getting back to my university weight, but I'd at least like to get back within 25 pounds of it!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful way to wrap up your post.

    I feel the exact same way about "Lose Yourself" that I do about Gangsta's Paradise. Love.
    Also, Dead Poets Society is one of my favorites as well, as is Bittersweet Symphony. You've got some good taste, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this list, and now it has me thinking of my own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading other people's playlists! The linky's up all day if you want to join in.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks - I liked your take on it too. I still have your post open so I can listen to your picks while browsing around. :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks - playlists are always fun.

      Delete
  12. Love how you structured this list and the choices. These choices were so spot on and some of them are exactly what I would have chosen too. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I liked flipping between positive and less positive emotions for the list.

      Delete
  13. Yu really nailed the emotions with these songs! I don't necessarily lve all of these but they sure would evoke these emotions. Well I do love #10!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, #10 is one of my all-time favourites that I never get tired of hearing.

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!