Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The violent bookworm

Ahhhhh. That felt so good. The problem with being a passionate person is that I sometimes don't notice my love of a new hobby sickening into disgust until it's too late. I'm glad I realized I was beginning to hate blogging in time to take a break. Nothing personal to my online friends; sometimes I just get sick of hearing myself talk and I need to take a short vow of written silence. Can't keep this chatterbox quiet forever though!

A few weeks ago someone asked me if I was excited to be going back to work from maternity leave. I'd been having a bad day and said, "God, yes! I can't wait to go to work where I won't have to listen to whining all day and no one will crap on me." Yeah, walked right into that joke. Three days in and I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so it's been pretty awesome so far. Little Man is adjusting well to daycare, which doesn't surprise me since he's such a happy, mellow little guy.

Sass, on the other hand...not so much. My mini-me flew into a rage last week when a little boy tried to take the book she was reading. As a result, Jay walked into the preschool room and found the teacher leaning over the little boy on the floor, icing his bloody face, while Sass kicked at the wall from her perch in the time-out corner. Apparently Miss Cage Fighter 2013 (Toddler division) had slugged this boy before clawing him up. Who knew bookworms could be so violent?

After Jay scolded her, Sass gave the little boy a big hug and kiss, told him she was sorry for beating him up, and gently patted his head. This was encouraging, but now we need to teach her that abuse is not acceptable just because you apologized and were really nice afterward (at least until you got mad again).

Geez, I hope I don't end up visiting this child in juvie in ten years. I don't have to worry about Sass following along with the bad crowd: I'm more concerned she may end up leading it. She did get her temper and attitude from me though, and I grew up to be a suburban accountant married to my high school sweetheart, without so much as a speeding ticket to my name (they wipe them off your record after seven years, so I'm all good now). Maybe there's hope yet for a future that doesn't involve my baby girl slouching around in an orange jumpsuit.



30 comments:

  1. I hope you don't end up visiting your child in juvie either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've got a good 10 years to turn this around...here's hoping.

      Delete
  2. Glad the going back to work is going somewhat smoothly; hope it stays like that :)

    oh gosh, kids! Never visited my child in juvie, but he did get arrested twice as a juvie (slow learner). Probation was not fun (but probably helped him not to get into any more trouble :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - sometimes it's just what they need to come to their senses.

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear from you again! I'm sure Sass will be fine. Eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can be a complete sweetheart too. All is not lost.

      Delete
  4. I had to laugh at your story. My niece was a spitfire as well, we worried she would never 'girlify'. Technically she still hasn't but is a momma and with a great guy who she don't take no crap from either. I think she will get out of it momma it was a first reaction thing, new baby, new stuff going on at home.. it will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I never thought of it as being a reaction to all the changes. She really likes her little brother, so I don't think of it as stressful, but you may be right. It has been a lot of change for her.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I am TOTALLY with you here. When Little K was 2.5, she beat up a 4 year old boy. BAD DAY. If it helps at all, she got her reactions under control pretty quickly after that and we never had another incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is impressive! And unfortunate. Glad she grew out of it; that gives me hope.

      Delete
  6. So nice to see you back! I know Sass needs to be taught that what she did was wrong, but...I thought it was kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was funny too, but I also felt a little alarmed at the thought of such behaviour continuing for any length of time. I don't want her to get kicked out of daycare.

      Delete
  7. oh snap! the girl has got some sass-- at least you can rest assured that she will not put up with shit from anyone when she gets older... right? ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did think that was the positive side of it. I want her to be strong and independent, but not a bully. Is that too much to ask?

      Delete
  8. Hey now, there's good money in a cage fighting career. Let her live the dream! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Maybe she'll make enough for us to retire early.

      Delete
  9. Aw. I've missed your posts! Glad you enjoyed your break from blogging and are enjoying being back at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clarinda! I'm actually missing blogging right now. I'm so busy I barely have time to open my laptop, let alone write something. It's not looking good for the A-Z challenge.

      Delete
  10. I feel like I shouldn't be laughing right now, but that visual is just too much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of wish I could have seen it in person instead of just having Jay describe it to me.

      Delete
  11. I gave you an award- check out my blog for the deets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been off-line most of the last week, but I'll stop by and check it out.

      Delete
  12. I missed you! Glad you're back, and enjoying work, and that your blogging vacation did you some good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I miss reading all my favourite blogs (yours included, of course).

      Delete
  13. I missed you too! But you gotta do what you gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "may end up leading it" you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can guide her toward being a positive leader, rather than a crime boss!

      Delete
  15. You're soo amazing! I love that you share your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was when I was telling someone about one of my mishaps when he said, "You know, you really should have a blog..."

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!