Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Head in the sand

Somehow I haven't been kicked off the A-Z Challenge list yet, despite missing a rather large section of the alphabet so far. In keeping with my less-than-perfect performance to date, I'm deviating from my lost words theme again for the letter "N."


N is for News. Several years ago in my pre-kids life, a mom friend told me that she didn't read the newspaper or watch the news, because she didn't care what was happening in the rest of the world. I struggled to keep my surprised disdain from my face and wondered if this was a special type of parental stupidity, or if she had always been so clueless.

Then I had my own two kids, and although we get a daily newspaper and a weekly news magazine, I skip most of the "serious" news. It's not that I don't care. It's that I feel completely exhausted and bruised by the viciousness of our world. I want to gather up my little family and huddle under the blankets in the hope that the random demon of fate will pass us by. My babies are growing so fast and as difficult as I find the task of parenting small children, at least their universe is contained.

Sass goes to school next year. It terrifies me to think of her tiny legs entering a world where going to see a movie, eating an ice cream cone or sitting in a classroom can be fatal. I don't know how to cope with this fear other than preparing her and protecting her the best I can, and I don't need to gorge myself on real-life tragedies to do that. Sometimes it's impossible to look away, because the shock and grief is so deep, and the least we can do for the victims is hear their stories. But I try to avoid reading about every horrible event that happens across the globe. My head is full of enough sadness already.

6 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand. It's hard to reconcile and balance wanting to know about the world with wanting to keep the ugliness at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also not big on reading newspapers, or watching the news! I can go days without knowing what goes on, it doesn't really change anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will watch the news for all of about 5 minutes. I want to know a bit of what's going on, but the way everything is talked to death makes me mad. I have even heard experts tell news people that their coverage of the minute details encourages others to do the same thing, and yet, every topic gets picked apart ad nauseam. Do we really need to know every single detail of the bomb and backpack? No. No we do not.
    You hit a nerve. Can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get most of my news from social media. I know I should care more about what goes on around the world, but I'm too busy (i.e. caught up in my own little world) to take the time to pay attention. Honestly I'm just too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preparing her is the best you can do. I'm not a parent, so what do I know, but it's what my Mom did and it makes perfect sense to me.

    P.S. Nice to meet you. I can't believe we've never met. Any friend of Azra's must be more interesting than the news. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Lend me some sugar!