Saturday, April 13, 2013

It's a wonderful life

I have to say that I'm not enjoying the A-Z Challenge as much as I expected. It's my own fault. I didn't write my posts in advance like I wanted to, and between my full-time job, two sick kids under the age of three and studying for my fitness instructor certification, blogging is the last priority on my list. I'm not reading as much as usual, which means no one is visiting, which means when I'm trying to motivate myself to write a blog post instead of going to bed for my four hours of sleep, I think of the one or two people who might read it and find I don't want to spend so much time for so little return. Ugh.

I'm supposed to be doing lost words for the Challenge, but I don't like the word choices for "L," so I'm going rogue and using a normal word instead.


L is for Love. I'm so in love with my life right now that I feel disoriented. Jay and I have a great routine going where I drop the kids off at daycare in the morning and he picks them up in the evening. This means I can go to zumba several times a week after work, which means I'm steadily losing the baby weight and seeing a hint of my old self in the mirror. Work is going well, mainly because I've stopped worrying about losing my job (my company is going through a series of major transitions) and just do the best I can each day and leave it at that. Que sera, sera and all that jazz.

I dropped a volunteer commitment that was taking up more and more time and feeling like a chore. I don't keep reading books or watching TV shows that don't thrill me. Sass is slowly growing out of the terrible twos, Little Man continues to be a happy, mellow little baby and Jay and I are in a smooth phase of married life. Outside of my job, I've distilled my life down to people and activities that fill my soul and deserve every precious moment of time they get. It feels fantastic.

Maybe this is why I'm less into blogging right now: my life is perfectly in balance, and blogging is such a time hog that it throws off that balance. Then the vicious circle of visiting less, so fewer people visit you, so you think "what's the point of writing when no one's reading," starts again. And then you quit. I hope it doesn't get to that point, because I do love reading blogs, writing my own posts and the resulting conversations and friendships. But I have other things to do too. All blogging and nothing else makes me a bad wife, mother, friend and employee. That's not OK.

24 comments:

  1. Oh, hang in there! There's usually is a dip in participation around the 2nd week of AZ. Love is a beautiful word to highlight. And it's nice to hear that you're enjoying life and that things are going so well. You've got the right attitude and letting go of the things that bring stress and negativity around you is the key. There are so many people out there that struggle to find balance and it's nice to read posts from those who have actually found it. It inspires the rest of us to keep looking. (:

    A-Z participant blogging from Elise Fallson



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elise! Your comment really cheered me up about the challenge. Hopefully I can continue working my way through the list and visiting people even after the challenge ends.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad life is going well for you! I'm currently in the same frame of mind, my life just seems really good at the minute.
    Don't feel bad about not getting the time to visit others, I don't visit other people just so that they'll visit my blog, I'm interested in what others post. If they visit me back, that's just a bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same approach to visiting blogs, but I do like to visit the people who have taken the time to comment and/or follow. I'll just keep up the best I can.

      Delete
  3. Nice that you're in a happy life place! I hear you on the blogging. I sometimes struggle to post a few times per week - I didn't even consider A to Z. Posting every day in November was SO hard. My kids are older an I still have trouble finding the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've realized I probably won't even attempt NaBloPoMo this year. It's too bad because it was a lot of fun, even though I complained about the daily posts at the time!

      Delete
  4. Nothing wrong with keeping a balance. I hope you don't give up on blogging, though, as I've been enjoying your posts, here :)

    Left and Write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I've enjoyed reading your comments too.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful post! I'm so happy to hear that your life is filled with so much love. I love moments in time like those. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I'm old enough to know these moments don't come along often and are to be treasured while they're here.

      Delete
  6. I think every blogger wonders at times whether or not the time invested in it is worth it. The a-z in particular can be a strain. I'm usually tired of it mid-way myself. :-) This is an honest post most readers will relate to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear that others feel the same way. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who has trouble fitting it all in.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you are paring the negative down and getting into a positive groove. Knowing how much you love it, I'm guessing your chance to go to zumba regularly helps in all of the other areas.
    If blogging is a chore or messing up the love, it just isn't worth it. I'll be here whenever you have the chance to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zumba is a happy pill for me, no doubt about it. I've missed your hilarious posts - hoping I can get some reading time in the next week to catch up!

      Delete
  8. Your life sounds pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels pretty awesome right now and I'm so thankful for that.

      Delete
  9. 'm always reading... Love your blog and am thrilled that you're loving life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awh. It's just a blogfest. You can stop at any time. Don't let it get you down. For what it's worth, I love your honesty. I look forward to more of it on whatever schedule you decide works out best for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like having a sprained ankle during a big game - it looks so fun and I wanted to get much more involved than I have been, rather than hobbling along. I knew I should have written my posts ahead of time. I'll have to plan better next year!

      Delete
  11. I didn't do my posts early either, and am suffering the consequences by being so exhausted, and even getting sick this weekend. But I'm feeling better about it now, even if I'll be at work tomorrow feeling like a half-wit for not getting enough sleep. :)

    I still want to keep up with the posts and visit a few new blogs each day. Hope you keep it up! Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to catch up a bit this week! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it as much as you thought you might... hang in there, we're 1/2 way through

    A to Z Ninja Minion
    baygirl32.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated.

      Delete

Lend me some sugar!